Tuesday, October 20, 2009

So I have always had a penchant for making stuff; I mean I've always been into making my own jewelry, costumes, food, and any number of things. I try not to spend a lot on things I really don't need like new books (though being a bibliophile makes almost a need), new music to put on my iPod, games for my DS (don't judge me, I like to play the ones that are a mental challenge), and other fun things that distract me from the reality that is law school. I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to have some extra money because, after all, I want things and need money to get them. There are also other plans that I would like to save money for, but I won't get into them at this point. So I went to Michael's  in the Boro (a place that never ceases to rob me of my money every time I go in there) and bought beads and findings and pretty silver chain; those were added to my incredibly girly little jewelry making kit, which has wire cutters, round nose pliers for loops, and needle nose pliers for bending things. Then I went home, to the house belonging to the 'rents, and made some pretty earrings. Those are now on my etsy site (link to follow at the end of the post). I also gave like six pairs of earrings to my Nanny to take to work to sell; I need to get some red beads to make pieces in the WestSide School colors because they will sell like crazy. Mama is also into this whole make extra money thing and is selling Avon, which is cool; she promises to take some of my pieces to work with her as well and is even offering to buy me more beads.


Leafy Earrings, you know you want them!

This is one of my favorite pairs. I love the leaf beads, but they come ten to a string so if I want to make more of them I have to buy three or more strings. I'm slightly irritated by this because I have several ideas for some leaf inspired earrings. I'm also designing Christmas earrings, even though I know that's months away. What I need to do is come up with a banner for my shop and also a logo to stick on the pretty little boxes I will be using to ship the earrings and stuff. I'm hoping that after this weekend I will have a little extra time to come up with some designs for not only earrings but maybe a couple of necklaces. Hopefully when I go back to TN my Nanny will have sold what I gave her, and thus I will be able to buy more beads to make more jewelry in some new designs. Call me a freak, but I love this stuff. I'm also working on designs for a few presents for Christmas and birthdays; my Nanny also wants me to figure out a way to lengthen a necklace she bought at a flea market or yard sale or something like that. It's a pretty piece, but too heavy for my taste; I should be able to get some amber colored beads and make it work.

I also seem to be in need of a creative Halloween costume; the subject of today's entry is not Jake and I, but just so you know, our one year anniversary is next week and so we will hopefully be going out that weekend. Since at the moment he has that Friday off, it means that I will be at home in the Boro for Halloween and will need to be costumed. If there is a costume, I will try to get pictures, and I will definitely have pictures of the awesome pumpkins I know my dad will be carving. Halloween is fun in the R family household, and I look foward to the pumpkins and stuff every year. I'm thinking for my costume this year buying a red wig and digging out tights and a mini skirt for a version of Julia Roberts' Erin Brockovitch, but more than likely I will go a bit cheaper and do some thing with a witch's hat, some awesome shimmery purple fabric I bought a couple years ago, and purple eyeliner. If I was staying in L-ville I would be at the Decedent's Ball and would have to go all out with my costume, but I'm not, so I will probably cheat a little. And yes this is relevant because creating my own costume counts as crafty. Well it's back to Memo-land for me, so I leave you with the link to my etsy shop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment